||Robert Knecht Schmidt, Associate
216.621.2234, Ext. 131
Patent preparation, prosecution, and appeals
Robert drafts, prosecutes, and appeals patent applications in a variety of areas, including medical devices, aerospace and defense systems, sensors, electronics, and wireless systems, to secure broad protection for inventions. He has extensive experience before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board and has contributed to successful appeals to the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Prior to joining the Tarolli firm, Robert worked as an in-house patent agent and patent attorney for a Cleveland-based group of innovative technology small businesses.
During law school, Robert served as president of the Student Intellectual Property Law Association, was a managing editor of the Law Review, and worked as an Estates & Trusts class tutor. He was the recipient of the Vic Nolan Intellectual Property Law Scholarship and such awards as the ABA-BNA Award for Excellence in Intellectual Property Law and the Carl Glickman Award for Academic Excellence (given to the top J.D./M.B.A. student).
• B.S. in Biomedical-Electrical Engineering, cum laude, University of Southern California, 2000
• M.S. in Integrated Media Systems (Electrical Engineering and Computer Science), University of Southern California, 2001
• M.B.A., Monte Ahuja College of Business, Cleveland State University, 2014
• J.D. with concentration in business law, summa cum laude, Cleveland–Marshall College of Law, Cleveland State University, 2014
• Supreme Court of Ohio, 2015
• U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 2009
• Ohio State Bar Association (OSBA)
• American Bar Association (ABA)
• Cleveland Intellectual Property Law Association (CIPLA)